Friday, May 2, 2008

What's All That Junk On Your Belt Dude?

When I first started in EMS I looked for things to hang from my belt- lights (sometimes two, yes two flashlights), carabiners, trauma shears, pouches for gloves, pouches for stethoscopes and of course my radio- and back in the olden days the average portable was about the size and weight of a really good red-brick.
I only began reflecting on this because today, in the ER parking lot, I saw an EMSer packin' enough stuff on his belt to fill a Galls to the roof- walking hardware store... jingle, jangle, jingle...
Today- well I'm down to what I consider the bare essentials- two pairs of gloves in my right front pocket and a very light weight UHF portable clipped to my belt. Everything else is in the ambulance, in the House Bag or on my partner...

No comments: