Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fatigue Is A Factor...

... If the average EMS customer, the sick guy on the street- or his/ her family, was aware of the fatigue level that the average Paramedic is working at they would be terrified. Terrified.
The question becomes- well, I'm too tired to drive, am I too tired to attend to the patient? Or- should I just suck it up, wake myself up and try to drive this damn thing through town to the ER?
Well?

As an aside- I have fallen asleep in the cab of the ambulance- at a light, with a critical ALS patient in the back.
My partner and I repeated this at another light on the way back- we both dozed off. Slept through at least one cycle of lights...

... who should have been in back then?

12 on, 12 off- Kill yer staff, cover yer schedule.
12 on, 12 off.

No comments: