Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"I Really, Really Hate This Place"

0811- Dispatched Priority One, unknown problem, 911 activated by the patients Life Alert device. If you're not familiar with Life Alert ("Help I've fallen and I can't get up") and similar alarms- they allow senior citizens to continue to abuse the 911 system long after they would otherwise have lost the ability to do so...

... which brings us to 0817 and our arrival on scene at the personal care home where our patient resides... Harry, and we know Harry quite well, met us at the main door, along with several members of the staff who were attempting, unsuccessfully to calm him down...

"So Harry why are we here today? What's going on?"
"What's going on? You can't hear that racket? (there was a crew doing some exterior repair work) I can't take it anymore, get me the hell out of here dammit!"

... and so the Emergency Medical Service saves yet another- and somehow my partner turned this fiasco into a billable ALS transport.

"Help, I haven't fallen, I'm not ill or injured, but I really hate this place and I can't get out"

No comments: