Monday, December 8, 2008

Fun With Supervisors- On Overtime...

... Wow, I'm back after my near fatal introduction to the Denny's Grad Slam- I picked up an open shift, and with no one else available (hey, we are down 32 medics - yup, not a misprint) I drew the Stupidvisor as a partner...
During the pre- shift vehicle check I learned we did not have a functioning blood pressure cuff- and unbelievably not one workable spare in the whole base...
Ah, but there was one in the ancient, decrepit, "extra" Medic Unit stored in the very, very back of our rather large facility...
My solution- take the blood pressure cuff out of the old clapped out, Chevy gas engined, wood paneled, for super emergency use only truck and put it into the fully decked out, ultra modern 2008 unit we were assigned to... but my fellow Paramedics, no- this is EMS after all, the magical place where common sense is the most uncommon virtue of all...
The EMS supervisors solution was to take the new truck out of service- because it was down a B/P cuff- and put the Chivy gasser on the road for the first time in eight months. Our saving grace? Of course, the aversion of the typical EMS supervisor to run an actual EMS call.
So while you ran from one end of the service area to the other, call after call- well me and my Stupidvisor partner sat back at the base, cruised the internet, drank all the cofee and napped.
Yes, this is living, this is EMS nirvana.

1 comment:

Paramedic Program said...

Very Funny Post! You have nice Stupidvisor partner. "the magical place where common sense is the most uncommon virtue of all..."