Friday, January 16, 2009

It Is Dark As A Dungeon...



... way down in the mine, down in the hole- confined space rescue... I went through the training years ago, even did a legit confined space rescue. Today I'm thinking of turning down a better job, in a better place, a better service... a more professional environment- surrounded by people who know me, like me, respect me and want to work with me. Oh, and it's way more money, so why Pedro, why? How could you pass on this great opportunity?
Well, turns out someone discovered what I just told you- I did my confined space training years ago- and these folks were kind of insistent that I "update" as part of their introductory training. Very, very reasonable I thought- until a friend described the process... this outfit does the training at an old missile site- no simulators here- you're lowered down a tube that's just big enough to squeeze through with SCBA on, and at the bottom you wiggle into a horizontal tube about 75 feet long, access a patient, secure him and return. That's great- except right now, today, in this moment, thinking about going into and through that damn hole is giving me the cold sweats- panic.
I'm trying some self help psychology, but as of right this minute it ain't working... but the more I try to talk myself into the hole, the more I admire you folks who do the training and put it on the line out on the streets- you're the greatest...

No comments: