Monday, March 9, 2009

Cruising the Service Area

We had a rough shift yesterday covering for our mutual aid pals- we had a pediatric arrest and a few calls we had to call in mutual aid for the mutual aid- if you know what I mean...
So I was relieved to be assigned to my own town today- not only in my own town, but in my own neighborhood- as an extra truck no less. 
My partner and I hit the streets early and just cruised around- we were diverted here and there for coverage on occasion, but for the most part we just drove...
...  Watched a very elderly female in a long tan rain coat pedal an old red bicycle up a cobblestone paved hill... gangsta's in the doorway, being look-out- one on each side of the intersection and a couple down the block- we turn down an alley and interrupt a business transaction- they don't care too much about us... back up to the main drag- kids are going home from school, the joggers are out, a hunched over old man is walking a black and white mutt with a grey muzzle- the dogs as old as the dude is, they seem really comfortable with each other- I find myself feeling a little sadness- one won't make it without the other...
The suns out, the air is cool, everythings fine- for now...

No comments: