Friday, April 17, 2009

Your EMS Schedule


EMS schedules- Here's hoping yours is a good one that supports a healthy, sustainable lifestyle. Mine, mine sucks. One of my Twitter pals asked about my EMS shift scheduling- I missed the "Tweet" and didn't answer, but I' ll give it a go now...

Basically, 'round here we work 8, 12 or 16 hour shifts- there is no rhyme or reason to this and on occasion you will find yourself working long runs of 12 on, 12 off or, worse 16 on, 8 off. I have worked as many as 18 straight days, taken a day off and gone back for 10 or 12 more days. Ouchie.

Sometimes through bad scheduling, "buddy" switches, poor planning or whatever, you will work a 24 hour shift or even 48 hours- this is officially frowned upon but permitted. We are that short handed- it's only temporary they tell us...

Quite often I will reach a point where I am so fatigued I will refuse to drive the ambulance- so, I can hear you asking- "Pedro, if you are too tired to drive safely, is it safe for you to be in the back with a patient?" The answer is of course- No it's not safe OR fair to the patient...



Photo license Creative Commons
Photo by Ben Dodson

No comments: