Friday, September 25, 2009

Special Details Are Not All That Special...

... just ask my dogs- they haven't seen me for 48 hours and we have 24 to go. Thankfully my family is able to walk them and take care of the evening feeding- and I've been "sneaking home" mid day to let them out to run in the yard for a few.

That said- I can't really post anything much here- although most of what I know about the detail I'm assigned to is very common knowledge, I'm not willing to let something slip out that will get someone hurt- just for the sake of a good anecdote...

But I can tell you this real quick...

The crews on the street have an unspoken understanding with the local news media- they know we will let them get into a safe distance from fires, rescues and crashes to get their stories- in exchange, they wait for the fat guys in white shirts to show up to get quotes, official type interviews and blow-by-blow accounts of hillside rescues, extrication's, shootings, stabbings and other big and bad stuff. They also realize this is different- I can't let them inch in ANYWHERE.

So, we have a cordial relationship with most of the street level media- they know the deal, keep stuff off the record, ( though they will try to sneak that in the window or through the back door shot), relax- "Hey, how you guys doin? You workin' that game Sunday?" That kind of stuff...

This morning a two person crew was filming near our "corner". When they finished they walked over to say hello, and probably to fish for some little nugget. Let me just say that I am absolutely in love with the reporter from this particular TV station- let's call her Amanda. We said our hello's and then I asked if I could mark this special, historic occasion by making a statement on the record, live if possible...

Sadly, live was not an option, but the recorded "interview" went something like this:

"We are on **** Avenue with the City Medic crew working this area, I'm going to get these Paramedics views on being part of this historic day"

"Amanda, I would just like to say how proud I am to represent the City down here, and I also want to tell your viewers that you are, just, absolutely, incredibly beautiful in person. Just exquisite- ahh, would you like to go for a bike ride?"

We all forced a laugh and went our separate ways. I didn't make the news and I didn't get a date. Oh well...

No comments: